Sunday, May 9, 2010

goodbye, cardio... hello, iowa and pigs!

I very much enjoyed my first week of Cardiology! I saw some of the most amazing cases... from a dog getting a re-check after his Tetralogy of Fallot surgery to a pacemaker put in my patient's heart, I learned a lot! I couldn't possibly have enjoyed Cardio more than I did in week 1. I wish I had written about it when I was in the middle of it and could portray the excitement I had during that week. Dr. Scansen is an amazing clinician and teacher, and I really enjoyed learning from him. Dr. Kent is incredibly personable, and though I had all of my cases with Dr. Scansen, I enjoyed working around her too.

Week two was anything but enjoyable. I spent my days upset, hurt, and worst off - in tears. The clinicians really make a difference. Despite the ups and downs, I learned a lot on Cardiology and am glad I didn't opt out of it.

I was truly terrified of the rotation before I took it, but have since come to terms with the fact that I feel confident in my ability to hear and at least give differentials for murmurs depending on their sound and location.

I arrived in Iowa this evening, after a 10 1/2 hour drive here today. I am exhausted, am finishing up some powerpoint slides (136 of them to be exact) that are due for tomorrow morning, and going to bed. I'm staying with Kate and her husband. Kate and I are both on the swine rotation these 2 weeks - I'm excited to spend some time doing something I love.

(pictures from the 2 weeks of cardio to come soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment