Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Sunday: No calls.

I realized that I forgot to write about the conclusion of my first week on Friday. It was a great week, and it went quickly. If this is any indication of how fast clinics are going to go, I will barely blink before they're finished!!

Friday we saw 2 eye ulcers in horses. The first has a superficial palpebral lavage in place, and the owners have been administering medications through this lavage system. The eye was cloudy on Friday, with corneal edema. We needed to get a better exam of the eye so we needed to do a nerve block. We got to the truck and Dr. Freeling asked me "what are you going to do, doc?" Oh, gosh... This was my first day riding solo with a vet in the truck, and all eyes were on me.... what was I going to do? "We are going to block the branch of cranial nerve 5", I told her. She asked if that was sensory or motor. Sensory, of course. I knew this - how did I know this? Somehow a wealth of knowledge hiding deep within me was coming out and I was impressing even myself! No, we don't want to block cranial nerve 5, we want to block cranial nerve 7 - the facial nerve. "And which branch?" she asked. The auriculopalpebral branch, I told her. "They teach you that, but really it's just the palpebral branch since we're only interested in blocking the eye portion". Duh. Of course. That makes perfect sense. She went on to ask me a few more anatomy and physiology questions to make sure we were on the same page. I knew this stuff! Holy cow, I knew this stuff!

We walked back into the stall and she asked where I was going to put the carbocaine, now that we had a live animal in front of us. "Oh, I'm going to do the block?" I asked. "Of course you are" Dr. Freeling told me. And, so I did it! It went well.

After that, we had one more horse to recheck. He was huge! But, quite sweet. After that I was home for the day and able to go for a 12 mile rollerblade trip with Carrie!

I was on call and stayed in Columbus for Easter, but didn't get called in...

On to week two... YAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment