Friday, April 9, 2010

Lameness...

We had a great morning meeting with Dr. Burns yesterday. After that, we went to our respective trucks. Dr. Burns was forced to take 4 students and Dr. Jury had room for 2. Amy and I went with Dr. Jury and signed up for Dr. Burns the following day.

We ended up meeting up with Dr. Schmall to do lamen
ess exams. We examined 5 or 6 horses, each with a decently severe problem that needed treatment. We (and by we I mean Drs. Jury and Schmall [Amy and I were lucky enough to do betadine scrubs to prep the spot for 10 min]) injected joints (both hocks and stifles) and injected the back of a horse that seems to have issues in her "hip" area. Because Dr. Schmall does a poor job of explaining things and answers the question of "what are you injecting?" with "what do you think I'm injecting?", I have no clear answer as to what was injected into the muscles of the back. I have included a picture below.

After our really long appointment at that barn, we stopped to check on a horse with insulin resistance. He was very sweet and we were only th
ere a brief time.

No comments:

Post a Comment